November 19-Rob leaves for business trip. Index finger is sore.
November 20-Finger much MORE sore. Call my DR he puts me on oral antibiotics.
November 21-Rob still away, but he will get back tonight! Finger is so much pain I can't think about anything else! Surrounding fingers cease to have movement. Index finger as big as a sausage and all sorts of colors, including white.
Continued November 21-This is where the juicy story begins. My DR called late on Monday night and told him what my finger looked like (worse than the night before) and told him that I was unable to move my surrounding fingers. I texted him a picture and he gave me an incredibly sincere apology and that I needed to go to the ER right away. He would call his friend to expedite the process, but I should probably plan to stay over night.
At the hospital-Blood is drawn. Sunny, (who also assisted in removing my appendix just 11 months prior) shows up and shoots my hand up with all sorts of numbing potions. He then takes a scalpel and makes 1/3 of an inch cut parallel to my nail. FLUID went FLYING all over the room! It was the coolest thing I have ever seen! He washes it out. Puts me in a sling. Tells me to NOT put my hand down. We joke about my appendix just months before and he tells me he will try to have me out of here by Thanksgiving. I chuckle and say, "you are joking right?" He replies in a very somber tone, "I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but you could be very very sick from this." Crap.
In my room-I have nothing but feelings of irritation. Rob is getting home tonight. I wanted to be there for him. The kids have school the next day. I have mothering jobs to do! They started me on IV antibiotics.
The next day I woke up and got everyone organized for the day (as much as I could over the phone) Rob was able to stay home and hold down the fort. My roommate and I acknowledge each other and become lifetime friends :) I now know everything about her and her about me. Soon the numbness in my hand starts to wear off and I am moaning and whimpering, worse pain than in labor. Labor, the contractions end and you have SOME relief. The nurse heads out to get some narcotics when my room mate, a massage therapist mind you, comes over, wets a washcloth puts it on my head and starts massaging my arm and legs. I love her. The nurse comes back and gives me narcotics and soon I feel happy. Friends Forever.
I later tell the nurse that I am dying for a shower and I will need help, since I have 1 hand unavailable and 1 hand with an IV that can not get wet. Can the evening nurse come in an wash my hair and assist me? Yes absolutely.
At 7:30 HOT guy walks into my room (Okay, I have been married for 10 years, but I am NOT blind!) Anyway, hot guy walks in and introduces himself. He is my night nurse. He understands that I would like help taking a shower, "Yes, I can help you with that." Uhhh. Awkward. I quickly say that my friend is coming to visit and she said she can help me. As soon as she shows up I explain to her that this hottie is threatening me with his assistance and she agrees to help me. She said, "Sure, you workout!" That was a humbling experience. At least a nurse has seen tons of naked bodies. Now I can never be on her bad side as she has now seen my "bad sides."
Next post: Thanksgiving and the surgery. Stay tuned.

2 comments:
I have been waiting to hear this story. I am so glad you are much better now.
Tate asked me today about my friend whose finger had to be cut open. He was very concerned about you and I didn't even know he knew anything about it. He'd heard us talk about the skin they used to cover the finger and he wanted to know where it came from and if it hurt. We need more pictures...for Tate. :)
Post a Comment