Monday, September 8, 2008

When does going into a dirty thrift store pay off?


Claire starts her ballet/tap class tomorrow and I don't want to spend $25 on tap shoes for her. I'm not that kind of girl. So everyone I've talked to has said to go to the local thrift store. There was a time in my life when I loved treasure hunting at the local thrift store, but not anymore. I'd just rather not. (I'm not being a snob. I just don't have the time or patience)

This morning we went for a walk in our friends neighborhood (near the store) and I asked if it would be okay if she watched my kids while I ran in. On the steps was a stroller, I glanced at it and decided someone was shopping and didn't want to bring it in. No tap shoes, so we kept on our walk. When we got in the car to go home I decided I'd run back and ask about the stroller. It was still on the steps so I ran in and asked the scary long haired man how much they wanted for it since I didn't see a tag. I had decided in my head I would pay up to $50 for it. Since it is in great condition. It looks like someone only used it for a few shopping trips. He came back and held up 5 fingers. $5?? What kind of stroller is this, you ask? It's a Maclaren Techno XT. It's the 2006 version. They sell for about $280-350.

My only concern:

What if some husband took stuff to the thrift store and accidentally took the stroller out of the car, wondering why his wife wanted to get rid of a perfectly good (and expensive) stroller? Bad, bad thing, I wrote a check! They have my address and phone #! What if someone calls and wants it back? Obviously I will give it back. BUT I WILL BE SO SAD!

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

So, I'm not sure I've known of anything else to make you so giddy. I was seriously waiting for you to do a back flip in my front yard. I'm trying not to be jealous--are you going back to thrifty shopping now? Or are you going to spend what you actually "saved" (apx. $275) by buying this stroller at Listen? The second sounds good to me!!!

dev said...

it brings me great joy to find treasure like that... although you SCORED!!! woman!!! good eye. good eye.

Rachel DeFreese said...

I am not usually stoller shopping, so I don't really know what kind that one is, but what a steal!

Unknown said...

Since you have a good stroller, maybe this one would sell on Craig's list? Or sell your old one? Karen

Rulon and Lori said...

Congratulations...nothing's better than a great bargain to make your day!

tanya said...

Score!!! I want to find a bargain like that on a double stroller! Send your good bargain vibes my way.

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

so... did you buy the shoes for Claire?... you save a bundle on the stroller... get the girl some tap shoes!!!

P.S. You're my hero!

Rob and Juliann said...

It turns out we don't even need tap shoes. The dance studio has buckets of them in all sizes!

Ward-a-Loo's said...

YOu Lucky! I am jealous, I never seem to go on the right days.

Natalie said...

Isn't it nice to live in an area where people only have one or two children and on top of that like to spend a lot of money on a stroller they won't have for very long! Nice find!!