Monday, October 27, 2008

Rob-2 Juliann-0


A few months ago, we (and by we I mean Rob) purchased a wood stove that was inserted into the existing fireplace. With propane as high as it was during the summer, we worried about the cost of heating our home. My thoughts...I figured we'd just pay the price for propane. Which Rob is too smart to have done. Which is why the smart one won. But for the record, I was against this from the beginning.

1. I'm not the kind of girl who builds a fire to keep her house warm. High Maintenance I guess.
2. Wood is dirty and it usually is dragged in all across my freshly mopped floors.
3. And can I say, BURNS? More specifically, burns on my beautiful childrens' beautiful skin?

Well. Today, I realized that Rob wins. All around wins. Hands down you were right, I was wrong. I was helping mom at preschool and I mentioned something to another helper about heating with a wood stove. She was saying they were thinking about getting one blah blah blah.

And my response? We love having it. We haven't turned on our heaters yet. It keeps the whole upstairs toasty warm all night long...blah blah blah. It went on and on. And I even said, "I really recommend getting one put in."

WHAT? Wow. ME? I said THAT? Huh.

All you New Hampshire girls, When the your power is out this winter, bring your food storage and come party at our warm house. Food storage...that's a blog for another day.

6 comments:

Karen said...

We are waiting for the end of "cold family room blues" at our house. On Wed. we are having a gas fireplace insert put in our fireplace downstairs. I have wanted it for years and someone else(!) is going to say "I love it" someday...when he's done with his hot flashes!!

Rulon and Lori said...

I think your resourcefulness outweighs your high maintenance inclinations. : )

Stephanie said...

That is amazing. I am so jealous!! I felt embarrassed the other night when Rob was here home teaching and he asked us if there's anything we need. I seriously thought of 10 things that I know your handy Rob is good at that I need done in my house. I restrained myself, though, and said the usual New England, "Thanks. We're all set." (Really we are!) Can we come roast marshmallows?

April Bishop said...

Handy guys are the best!

Eric Westover said...

Just look out for the mushrooms that grow on the wood. Mushroom family.

Alyssa said...

I love having the wood stove in our house... You will be a savy fire starter soon.... Once you realize how warm you will feel... Don't forget to use kindeling... And then put the bigger piece of wood in.... Then leave the door open just a pinch till the fire really gets going... The glow of a fire is sooooo romantic....