Friday, December 5, 2008

PLEASE JUST GO TO SLEEP!


I can't lie, it has been a rough past 2 weeks in our house. Ian, my dear, sweet, handsome, little prince is on the verge of being sold on the black market. If he wasn't so cute I would be accepting offers. I was venting to my little sister this morning and telling her I haven't blogged because I have nothing positive to say and she told me it might help me deal with this. And I'm sorry my posts have been so negative lately. I'm not usually this grouchy of a pregnant lady.


Ian has been getting out of his crib for the past 12 days. 12 of the worst days of my existence. The kid will not go to sleep until he is hours past meltdown. He wakes several times a night and runs around. One night I went upstairs wondering what that noise was and Ian was standing in the living room looking at me. I just about leaped out of my knickers. He will wake up at 4:30 and think it's morning. Of course he doesn't nap anymore unless he falls asleep in the car on the way back from taking Claire to school and even then a transport from car to crib is questionable.


If he were happy during the time he's up it would be different. But he walks around bumping into things and sobbing, destroying things and sobbing and everything else 2 year olds do to make their mothers pull their hair out. I was dealing with the naughtiness okay before, still having a rough time obviously, because at least he would take a 3 hour nap during the day. Now it's pure naughty all day long.

Maybe it's just my crazy pregnant lady hormones but this kid...I don't know what to do with him.

On a side note, when he is happy and well rested he is incredibly enjoyable. He is saying lots of words and laughs at everything.

13 comments:

Dana said...

I'll take him! Wait-- he wakes up at 4:30. Nevermind. Who does that?! I would probably die. Good luck, though! I wish I lived closer so I could at least take the kids off your hands & give you a break for a little bit! I can tell you're a good mom. Don't feel bad about complaining.

Cathy Bloom said...

juliann-you are a good mom! and you and rob have the cutest-cute babies-i wish you were closer also-i would take care of them every day!!! next time ian is naughty-tell him you will call grandma so he can talk to karen or i!

Linda said...

Juliann,

Maybe he needs day care.
Wait I wake up at 4 a.m. too.
I know I don't need daycare at my age. Good luck we are here for ya.
Aunt Linda Crummitt

Jen H said...

Hang in there! You can do it. Sadly I do not have any oh-so-fabulous words of advice that will suddenly make Ian an angel 24-7 but I will try to invent some, I promise. Until then, keep up what you are doing.

Remember two things: 1. Heavenly Father wouldn't have sent him to you if you were not the best mom for him. 2. Heavenly Father has a great sense of humor

Karen said...

OK. How about a storm door...full glass panel so you can see in and he can see out but it's lockable at night so he can't wander around the house alone and unsafe? or a dutch door that opens on the top? How about get him his own TV in his bedroom and it only comes on at naptime or bedtime. Of course it would only play bowling or golf - the best TV to sleep by :)

Linda Westover said...

Karen's suggestion for a storm door is super, as is the little TV in his room, though I don't know you'll explain that one to Claire.
Part of the problem is probably just his picking up on the fact that you feel lousy right now. That upsets the balance in his world too. So if you can hang in there till you're feeling better, he'll probably start to do better, too.

Kindred Family said...

So obviously, I'm a little behind on blog readings but just wanted to say congratulations on being pregnant! That's very exciting. I hope Ian starts sleeping a little better, if not maybe the black market isn't that bad of a plan. I bet he could fetch a good price!

Katie

Rachel DeFreese said...

I know a girl who's single and 25, who would love to come to New Hampshire to spend some time with you and chase the little one around the house until he is too tired of playing!

Matt and Maren said...

yeah,`he's truly naughty. sell him. tell the buyer you'll throw in calvin for free.

Cathy Bloom said...

us grandmas have first bids!

Kristian Nordin said...

Um Jules, I have dealt with a naughty boy too. Mine has grown out of his for now. I would lock Cody in his room at night. It made me feel much safer that he was not out woundering around at night. Jeff and I felt like we were barbaric parents but we were out of options.

Alyssa said...

I think Ian is sleep deprived... And so are you! Go to walmart, get a baby gate (by far my best investment) and put it up in his doorway.... And ditch the crib till the next one needs it! Put Ian in the big boy bed, and put a cd player in his room... And play "Quickly I'll Obey" on repeat from the 'Childrens Songbook'... If that music doesn't help... play the lullaby songs from the childrens songbook! This magic with the gate and music has worked with our kiddies... Eventually Ian should nap, and will stay in his room at night....

The Good Life said...

I know some parents that buy crib tents to keep their little guys locked up at night. but since you are expecting, maybe now is the best time to get him in a big boy bed. Good luck! I will be in the same situation before I know it!!! eh! help us all!