Saturday, April 25, 2009

Size matters?


Warning! I'm in a crusty mood!!


Since when did it become socially acceptable to comment on one's size? When you see an overweight person do you walk up to them and tell them how big they are? Do you make it your business to make sure they want to cry themselves to sleep at night? No? Then why would you make a woman who is GREAT with child feel like a gigantic beast? Yes, my maternity pants are getting snug and when I let my guard down (which I am very careful about, cause I don't want my WHITE, BIG belly exposed) my belly hangs out the bottom of my maternity shirts.  Yes I am sure there aren't two in there and yes I feel like I am going to burst at the seams of my own skin. Thanks for reminding me and please don't rub it in. (As if I don't think about how big I am everytime I pass by a mirror or look down!) 

Everywhere I go, someone always feels the need to tell me how big I am. It's been happening for a while, but I am at a breaking point. I figured if I vented to my fellow bloggers, I wouldn't snap at the next woman who asks, "Now when are you due again? Wow, you still have a while!..." it kept going, but I'll spare the rest.

Also while I'm venting, we DID get pregnant on purpose. I realize that I already have a perfect girl and a perfect boy, but since they are so perfect, why not have more? Plus, (for all you random people in the grocery store) we pay (oodles of) taxes and we take care of ourselves financially, so please don't comment to me about having "another one?" while thinking about your paycheck going to feed my children and pay my medicaid bill, it isn't. We can afford to have more and I want more so if you don't mind, I need to get home before my low-fat ice cream melts. 

18 comments:

misty said...

I think you look wonderful! When I told my son's schoolteacher I was pregnant (I'm 16 weeks with my fourth and huge already) he said "Another one? If you keep going, you're going to have your own religion." I'm the same amount pregnant as a bunch of tiny students/student wives in my ward who are having their first or second baby. They're nowhere near wearing maternity clothes yet, but I have been for a while, and I probably don't look exactly pregnant, just way, way bigger. Again, I think you look awesome, so thanks for posting a picture. And I'm happy you're bringing another baby into the world because you and Rob are wonderful parents. And thank you for the tip on secret fit jeans a while ago. I found two cute pair of poplin secret fit capris at the thrift store for $7 but wouldn't have known what they were if you hadn't posted.

The Duckers said...

You're not that big at all!!! To all those weirdos out there, they just need to learn to shut their mouths!
And....if someone actually made a comment to you about their paycheck and crap going to help you and other growing families, well....that just infuriates me.
The worst of it is, is when they make these comments about us being big, and we still have a month or more to go! I just always say, "don't worry I'll be WAY bigger in no time!

Hope you feel a little better after venting.

Shelene said...

I am glad I am not the only one who used my blog as a venting outlet on this subject.....I felt your pain not all too long ago!!!!!!! But now I just want to wear a shirt that says, "I just had a baby, that is why my tummy looks so flabby!" But thank goodness for me, I do just look flabby, so no one comments. We love you and are cheering you on!!!! You are wonderful....and look cute by the way!

April Bishop said...

I'm making shirts for my friends and I to wear to the gym that say, "I have four kids, what's your excuse?" It never ends. And I say skip the low-fat ice cream and go for the real stuff. When else can you?

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karrie Shepro said...

Tell them you're having the kids your sister in law isn't, so it's all good! (and you look HOT) :)

Brenda Sue said...

You do look good! At least people know you're pregnant! Some of the people I work with just assumed I was fat until they overheard me talking about the adoptive family. I'd rather have people tell me I look pregnant than just plain fat! I sure love ya!

Desiree P said...

I feel your pain. Unfortunately it didn't get better after I had the baby. Just last week I was out shopping with the kids. A woman in line in front of me commented on my cute kids and baby. Then she looked at me and said "You're not pregnant again are you?" Nope, just fat thank you. And even if I was, why would she care? People talk without thinking.
You are a fabulous looking pregnant woman BTW!

Karen said...

I was standing at the candy counter with Karin one day when I dropped something, and before I could reach down and pick it up, the woman behind the counter said, "Oh let me get that. You shouldn't be bending over in your condition." I thought Karin would never stop laughing because I was not anywhere near being pregnant, but the clerk thought I was. So even if you feel huge or we look huge, SMART people keep their mouths SHUT and the ones who make those comments are idiots. Thank goodness, we will never be so insensitive! And thank goodness, not only Mexicans are having babies in the USA!! (Is that racist? or just true?)

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

I only wished to be as cute as you when I was prego!... I continually got comments like..."oh, you must be having twins"... yeah.. and I was only 5-6 months. And now that Jennah's about the age to have another... people look at my belly and smile... Sorry people... nothing in there but "baby fat".... (is it still baby fat if you had it before the baby?)

You're gorgeous!!! Get over it!

Bonnie and Ben Kacher said...

Juliann you are seriously my hero. You are so stinky funny. For what its worth I hope I look as good as you in that picture when I am 8 months prego

Rachel DeFreese said...

Girl, you look great!!! Just tell them that you don't want to be lonely later on in life around the holidays, and then wish them luck as they have a nursing home to look forward to being in later, cause with a "large" family chances are good that you will not be in a nursing home or having lonely holiday seasons!

Nicole said...

Love you Jules. Amen Sistah!

tanya said...

I completely understand where you are coming from! When I was pregnant with Jackson people could just not stop with the "bigness" of my belly crap. Hang in there!

Grammie Norie and Poppy Vern said...

Vent...Vent...Vent...that's what family, friends and this blog is for...LOL...you are darling prego and I love you!!! You and Rob are awesome....you two make beautiful babies...so keep having them!!!
Warmest Hugs ever!!
Aunt Norie
oxoxxoox

Jen H said...

Ditto!!!

I have come to accept all the stupid comments from people about the number of kids we have, recently mostly at the park, like "do you run a daycare or are they all yours??"

My favorite thing to do lately when I get comments about 'all three are yours!' or 'how old are they' is to tell them that my oldest if 5 and we are having our 4th child in August. The trick is to say it with a huge smile and watch them wriggle like a worm on a hook!!

People are so dumb!!

lis said...

My friend is writing a book on all the things people should NEVER say to a pregnant woman. Can I forward this blog to her? You made me laugh so hard! If only our brains worked fast enough to come up with an sassy reply in these situations...

max fam said...

Thanks for venting for me, because that is exactly how I feel. Yes I STILL have 2 more months before this baby is due and No I am not pregnant with twins.