Sunday, June 27, 2010

Frogs


This week we inherited a container filled with rocks, grass, water and POLLIWOGS! They have been sitting on our front porch and is constantly being poked at by the kids (and me!) On Thursday in celebration of Leapfrog's (that's one of the frogs) missing tail, I decided we needed to change their water. So we had a mission. To find some water safe for them.


The boys headed out to Home Depot without complaint, so Claire bear and I set out to the rail trail on bikes with an empty container for new water from the nearby river. We had a wonderful ride out. At about 1.5 miles we found a nice little beach next to the water. We got off our bikes, filled our container, sat next to the beautiful river, took some pictures, talked, rested our legs and finally Claire said, "Are there any bears here?" Not being able to answer a yes or a no I decided we should head home. It was a wonderful mother/daughter time for us. On the way back it was a bit muddy and Claire at one point looked up and said, "Mom, I think it's raining mud!" Yes we were both covered in mud, but it was worth it. She was so cute, when ever she would get tired I would remind her that we were doing it for the frogs. She rode about 4 miles total.

We got home. Claire bravely picked up "Leapfrog, Harry and Larry" and put them in the new water. We cleaned out their old home and poured them into their nice clean container. We were so proud of ourselves.

The next morning I checked on our beloved froggies to find them "belly up." Yep, that's right. Someone (me) should have let the water come up to the right temperature before transporting them. Oh well. You can't win em all.

6 comments:

Shelene said...

I'm sorry to hear about your frogs! But at least you got a nice mom and daughter date out of it! And to see your kids go the extra mile for someone else is so great! If I had only known 24 hours earlier.... we cold have saved our little window well friend yesterday!

The Good Life said...

I did that to a beta fish once. I was pretty sad. What a long ride! Sounds like Claire loved the one on one time with her momma!

Carla and crew said...

I fried two guinea pigs once and the girls have never forgiven me! Aubrey squished her tadpole, too...I think it must be part of the "measure of their creation" to let humans try to tend them!

Cathy Bloom said...

we will check out ocean shores when you get here for "critters"!!

Sara said...

After all that work :) What a great experience though for the two of you.

Andy, Beth and Jennah, too! said...

Sob for the frog.... but loved the adventure date!