Is he really that naughty or is he just a boy? I'll let you be the judge. A few weeks ago my in-laws came to town to spoil us for a week, the best week we've had in a while. Karen's mission, To find out if Ian was truly naughty or just a boy. I'm pretty sure she left thinking he was just a boy. He was a pretty good boy that week. We were playing Scattergories (our favorite game) and I decided that "naughty" is a term of endearment, when referring to my kids. Or at least I needed one that started with N.
Naughty is no longer a term of endearment. Ian has crossed over. From cute naughty to truly naughty. Cute naughty was when I was in the shower and he would pull all the books off of the bookshelf. New and improved naughty Ian now pulls the books off of the bookshelf, then pulls it down onto himself. Causing a HUGE goose egg on his forehead.
Cute Naughty Ian would be contained in his crib while I took a shower. He can now get out. New Ian will get into the knife drawer (I know, we're bad parents*) and take a cube of butter and rub it all over our cabinets and all over himself. Not to mention the matches we keep in the knife drawer that are strewn all over the kitchen. With butter on them.
*Disclaimer, I know we need to have a latch on that drawer, not having one on it is very dangerous but before we would tell him, No and Danger and he wouldn't touch it. Please don't judge me while I'm venting.
Old Ian would put toys in the washing machine and dump out my shampoo. (Those were the good old days) New Ian will put my hair dryer/flat iron in the washer and close the door and push start, unroll all the tp (normal) but then flush it and anything else around down the potty too.
Old cute Ian will go to timeout when asked. New Ian will be put in time out and as soon as I turn around will be shuffling around the kitchen with a smirk on his face, until I put him back. Old Ian would play with his toys. New Ian dumps everything out and throws things at his sister, pulls her hair when he's mad and spits.
My theory is, he talks A LOT less than Claire did at this age. Is it possible that the throwing, pulling hair and spitting is a result of frustration from being unable to communicate? The other naughtiness I think is because he's getting smarter. He's like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, he is getting smart and he will take over the house. Is he just a boy? Or is he truly naughty?

7 comments:
Oh Jules, you are so funny... Does Ian really put stuff in the washer? And rub butter on stuff? Oh... My gosh.... At least YOU got the wild one and not ME... But, he is soooooo cute! And sweet! Send him to Auntie Alyssa's house for a few weeks... Oh, and Claire can come too! We could have sooo much fun!
He's still really cute...but I'm glad he's yours! Thanks for the chuckle.
Ooooooo...naughty or normal??? Sorry I still think he's normal with a dash of daring and a whole lot of curiosity!!(Andrew used to chase Lauren around the kitchen with the knives and yes! we immediately put a lock on the drawer. He thought he was a pirate.) I used to tell everybody that it was a good thing he was so cute or we'd have to send him back. Just think how baby proofed your house will be by the time his brains have grown. But if you do want to give him to us for awhile, I take him!!!
He must have been watching the cooking shows on T.V...
Paula Dean puts butter on everything.
Ok, I agree with the fact that some of it is just being a boy, however I know how it feels to run upstairs to use the bathroom only to come back down and find a box of cereal dumped over a screaming brother and every toy thrown from one side of the room to the other. And yes he does this all in the minute and half it takes me to go pee.
Okay. That's it. You're done. No more peeing, showering, or sleeping for you.
(For the record, I love that little boy of yours.)
Maybe it will be a short stage? During a very short period at a similar age, Marriah ate raw hamburger, tasted that package of stuff from new shoes that says "do not eat," called 9-1-1 and made the police come, and constantly climbed on the table to eat whatever was placed there. But then that period ended. (Nevermind what her next stage was . . . or the next . . . fast forward to what an angel she is now.) It will be okay.
Post a Comment