When you're done laughing at how high I wear my underwear, scroll down.
Okay, I'm only 20 weeks and I am totally HATING maternity pants. Already. I went to Kohls with one of my friends and she told me about "Secret Fit" pants. I tried them on and LOVED them, but they weren't on sale so of course, I didn't buy them.
Fast forward, to a few days ago, she asked if I had gone back and bought them, I said no, then went on to tell her how annoyed I am that I have tons of cute gap, old navy, motherhood, maternity pants and don't want to buy more. Then the light clicked on. She actually gave me the idea by doing it to a non-maternity skirt once, but since she's already a brilliant Dr, I think I'll steal her thunder...
I used "control top" pantyhose and cut off the crotch (I hate this word) and legs. I also cut off the "equator belt" on the maternity pants, then sewed the two together. This was tricky (well, not for truly creative people, but for me) I messed up the first pair but then got smarter. In order to do it correctly you have to have a 4 year old girl and a 2 year old boy pulling at you and crying through the process.
What would I do differently next time? I would do it to a pair of pants that I like more. These were my 2nd experimental pair. The first ones weren't blog-worthy. These ones were snagged on a rack at Old Navy and have a hole in them. (remember that Lori?)
3 years ago

19 comments:
Juliann - I don't get it, is this way suppose to be more comfortable than the "equator"? (Forgive the dumb question from the girl who'se never been pregnant)
You are so tricky and you look mightly slim in those pictures sexy prego girl! You can cut up the maternity pants that I gave you that are NO LONGER MINE! "unsafe" them!
wow, i am so proud to be your sister!! i thought of doing that after i saw juno's step-mom do it but those were just regular maternity pants. i've been wearing regular pants comfortably until a few weeks ago. and i'm almost done so i dont want to buy others. but making them, that i could do...
so do your regular maternity pants fall down? is that why you dont like them? and it's like those bras for your belly! genius!!
hooray for comfortable pants while there's a baby growing in your belly!!
The equator, Karrie is not very comfy, but mostly, EVERYONE can see how high up you are wearing your pants. This way, my big boobs are in the way and in the back, one might mistake the top "line" for a bra.
Nicely done Jules! Remind me to do this next time I have a kid.
I am very impressed! Yay for cute maternity pants!
I may have to borrow your idea for when my pants get to that unbearable stage.. Although, I have to admit, my baby bump isn't as noticeable yet.. But I am sure it will get there!
Yep, I remember. : ) I am way impressed. You're very creative. I didn't find the secret fit pants until like the last trimester of being pregnant with Kelton. They're actually pretty cheap at Motherhood...I know it's hard to get there for you. They're so much more comfortable than any other pants plus no seams to show on your belly.
Genious! Absolutely genius. I hope you are in comfort heaven in your newly adapted maternity jeans. Way to think outside the bun...(no pun intended)
these look too comfortable to stop at maternity. Hmmm.... BRILLIANT!!
Look how cute and tiny you are! I need to have someone do that for me with my scrubs....I can't get them to stay up! You are so creative!
Awesome! I always hated the "Equator" pants! They never stay up and are terribly uncomfortable. I wish I knew about the other pair. Oh, well, I am done!
I may have to try your secret with this one . . . I am also going to check out Motherhood and look for the 'secret fit' ones you speak of as soon as my belly starts getting bigger.
I love this idea, I hate maternity pants and the fact that the cut right into your belly and make you look more weird and uncomfortable then us prego's already are. Thanks for sharing your super creative talents.
I am very impressed with your creativity!!! You look pretty hot in your maternity pics. I hate pego pics of me.
did you stretch the nylons as you sewed them to have the seams on the sides match up? A step by step picture/video tutorial would be GREAT!
Having never been prego, I can't imagine how uncomfortable wearing
maternity pants must be. But you look so good. ♥ Aunt Linda
Jules....you are on to something, totally brilliant my girl....market it...you'll be rich...HUGE(get it?) market out there!!! Think of all the big size girls that could were them too!
Reading all your friends' comments was half the fun of this post. I'm impressed with your creativity. I tried to make over normal pants once, but the panel goes way too low if you cut off a whole normal zipper. Of course, I wore them anyway. Yuck.
Post a Comment